I’ve not been sleeping recently. Not a lot, anyway. And after reading countless theories and tips online and downloading sleep apps and trying herbal teas and all that shit, I have resorted to keeping a bedtime notebook. The idea is that I get whatever starts whizzing around my brain at night written down before it starts stopping me from sleeping. And it’s kind of working.
So, in lieu of my sleeptime notebook (which is at home, where I’m not – I’m in a cafe in Chorlton, drinking enough tea to float a small canoe) I am going to make a list of things that I have on my mind in an attempt to clear my head. Because these thoughts are not just reserved for bedtime. Some of them may even get a follow up blog post. Most probably won’t. Who knows. Anyway, here’s the list:
- Bees. How are they doing? How do they cope? Why Nicholas Cage?
- Why can’t I get to sleep?
- Climate change. Christ, this is one that I know keeps me awake at night. I’m currently reading “This Changes Everything” by Naomi Klein, and it’s a lot to take in. Brilliant but terrifying. More to do with global economics than I first thought.
- Global economics and how to wrap my brain about big number related things.
- My sporadic veganism and the ethics that go along with it.
- My dog. How is she doing? Does she miss me? Whose socks is she eating?
- How to balance my art-self and my family self.
- Am I just selfish?
- Puns. All the time.
- Female representation in books for kids.
- Ditto LGBT representation.
- Ditto non-white representation.
- Being perpetually single and finally being okay with that.
- Money. Mostly the money I owe other people.
- Should I quit my job?
- Writing a book.
- Whether it’s okay to start writing another book before finishing the first.
- Arts Council Funding.
- Feeding internet trolls. Also, angry internet feminists and how awesome they are.
- Sex. How female sexuality is still a taboo topic. How little it features in my life.
- Body image. This is the big one at the minute, as per my previous blog posts.
- Theatre and my future in it. After summer comes the void and all that shit.
- What can I cook that’s a)vegan b)tasty c)cheap d)requires minimal effort?
- The ever creeping wanderlust that I have versus knowing that planes murder the environment.
- How could I acquire a ship?
Good god, I could go on forever. It’s a bit scary actually. I don’t know how humans cope with so many things in their minds.
That’s it. That’s the blog post. It’s not all that interesting, but I can’t fascinate all of the time, can I?
27. The long list of books I want to read, mostly female authors. Attempting to diversify my reading list to include a lot more non-white, non-male, non-dead, non-Western authors. Dickens will have to wait.